Military/Overseas Voting

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) is a federal law that makes it easier for members of the armed forces and certain overseas U.S. citizens to register to vote and cast absentee ballots.

UOCAVA voters include:

  • Members of the armed forces on active duty and their spouses and dependents
  • Members of the merchant marine and their spouses and dependents
  • Civilian employees of the U.S. serving outside the territorial limits of the U.S. and their spouses and dependents who live with them
  • Members of religious or welfare agencies assisting members of the armed forces who are officially attached to and serving with the armed forces and their spouses and dependents
  • U.S. citizens who live outside the territorial limits of the U.S.

In one step, you can register to vote and request an absentee ballot by completing a federal postcard application (FPCA). Return your signed, completed FPCA to:

  • Scott County Auditor
    Attn: Voter Registration Form
    600 W. 4th St.
    Davenport, Iowa 52801
  • Email it to [email protected]

The absentee ballot request will be honored for all elections for which you are eligible held during the calendar year in which you submitted your FPCA. If you prefer to receive ballots for only specific election types during that year, you may make notation of your preference on the FPCA. For example: federal election only.

Your absentee ballot request does not have to be witnessed or notarized. If you would like to request a copy of an absentee ballot request form or a FPCA, please email [email protected].



If you wish to receive your ballot by email or fax, your request must be received in the county auditor’s office by the close of business on the Monday before the election.

You must provide a valid email address or fax number.


While UOCAVA voters are eligible to request a ballot via mail through the day before the election, request your ballot early to ensure you receive it early enough to return it on time. If you are unsure if you will receive your ballot on time, you may ask the county auditor to email or fax your ballot to you.

If your request is received so late that it is unlikely the absentee ballot can be returned by mail in time to be considered for counting, the county auditor will enclose a statement to that effect with the absentee ballot.