Tax Suspension Program

Suspension or Abatement of Taxes Policy and Procedures

1. As a general rule, the Scott County Board of Supervisors WILL NOT abate taxes.

Prior to any considerations of abatement requests:

  1. The property must have been offered at tax sale and not sold following a one year delinquency period.
  2. The city council or township trustees of the city or township in which the property is located must pass a resolution recommending that the Board of Supervisors abate or compromise the taxes owing and how this action serves the general public interest.

2. Petitions for suspension of taxes will be considered if the following eligibility requirements are met:

  1. Petitioner, if eligible, has made application for the Iowa Disabled and Senior Citizens Property Tax Credit.
  2. Total resources of petitioner (excluding property for which taxes are requested to be suspended) is less than $50,000.
  3. Gross income for the previous 12 months is less than 150% of poverty level.

3. Procedures to follow by petitioners:

  1. Obtain petition form from the Scott County Community Services Department, 4th floor, Administrative Center, 600 W. 4th St. Complete all appropriate sections.  NOTE: If you are petitioning for an abatement of taxes, you must first have the petition approved by the council members or trustees of the city or township in which your property lies.
  2. Return the notarized petition to the Scott County Community Services Department. The Board of Supervisors will discuss the petitioner's request at their next regularly scheduled Committee of the Whole meeting.
  3. The petitioner will be notified regarding the Supervisors' action on the request.

Along with the completed application you will also need:

  • A copy of last year's federal income tax return if you filed one.
  • Verification of your income from Social Security or other income source if you did not file a tax return.
  • A copy of your tax statement from the Treasurer's Office.
  • A copy of the current Iowa Property Tax Credit Claim filed with the Scott County Treasurer's Office, if you are eligible for such.

Your signature on this application must be notarized. If you need this office to notarize your signature, please call an set up a time to come in. Otherwise you can mail the paperwork to:

Tax Suspension Coordinator
Community Services
600 W. 4th St.
Davenport, Iowa 52801
Call with questions: (563) 326-8723.