Selling/Trading Your Vehicle to a Dealer

Filling out paperwork.

1. At dealer, remove the license plates and keep them.

If you buy another vehicle within 30 days, you can put the plates on the vehicle, providing you pay the applicable fees on the replacement vehicle. You may also be entitled to credit for the unused registration fee on your old vehicle if you apply within 30 days of the sale. To receive credit, indicate the plate number from the vehicle sold on the application for title on the replacement vehicle. Transfer the plates from the vehicle sold to the replacement vehicle.

If no replacement vehicle is purchased, turn your plates in to the Scott County Treasurer's Office. You may be entitled to a refund on your unused registration fees with a refund claim (obtained from the County Treasurer's Office) if the remaining amount is greater than $10 and you turn in the registration receipt (completed on the reverse side). The claim must be submitted within six months of the date the vehicle was sold.

Filling out paperwork on a desktop.

2. Complete the top section on the back of title, the assignment of title and give it to the dealer.

Seller and dealer speaking to each other.

3. Tell the dealer the county where your vehicle was last registered and the date your license expire.

The dashboard of a car including the odometer.

4. An odometer statement on the back of the title is required on all motor vehicles model years 2011 or newer which are equipped with an odometer by the manufacturer, except for trucks, truck tractors and motor homes with a gross weight rating f more than 16,000 pounds.

Complete a separate Damage Disclosure statement for motor vehicles 7 model years old and newer indicating if the vehicle has sustained damage more than 70% of the value of the vehicle at the time the vehicle was wrecked.

Click for Damage Disclosure statement form.

Seller filling out the registration receipt.

5. If you are purchasing a replacement vehicle from the dealer or you have sold your vehicle within the last 30 days, give the dealer your registration receipt. If you are not purchasing a replacement vehicle from the dealer, keep the registration receipt.