Selling Your Vehicle For Junk and It Will Never Be Driven Again

Junk it

Seller and buyer filling out paperwork.

Give the buyer your title (completing the assignment section of the title)

Seller and buyer at the Treasurer's Office.

Get a receipt stating the buyer has accepted delivery of the vehicle and title, or you can take your title and registration to the Scott County Treasurer and obtain a junking certificate. You can assign the junking certificate to the buyer.

Junking a Vehicle to a Recycler

A Certificate of title is not necessary if:

  • The vehicle is 12 model years old or older
  • Sold to a Vehicle Recycler for less than $1,000.

If 'yes' to the points above, a recycler affidavit may be used to assign the ownership. 

  • See attached