The Eastern Iowa MH/DS Region, referred to as the Region, was formed under Iowa Code Chapter 28E to create a mental health and disability service region in compliance with Iowa Code 331.390. The Region was approved by the Department of Human Services on 5/23/13 and serves Cedar, Clinton, Jackson, Muscatine and Scott Counties. The population total for the region is approximately 298,523 according to the July 1, 2012 census.
The Region has developed the following guiding principles:
- The Region must operate in the spirit of cooperation with trust amongst all, with open communication and respect for differences of opinion.
- Each county’s property tax dollars should be spent on services for their residents.
- One (1) county, one (1) vote.
- Each county needs to maintain a local presence (local access office) for their residents.
- Each county must provide uniform services while including utilization of an open provider panel.
- The region should not create another layer of government and should maintain current administrative costs, not increase them.
- Case management providers will be designated by the regional Governing Board of Directors.