Duties of the Civil Service Commission
In summary, the Code of Iowa 341A.2 states that the Civil Service Commission has the following duties:
- To adopt rules for examinations, appointments, promotions, transfers, reinstatements, demotions, suspensions and discharges.
- To administer tests to determine the ability of persons to perform required duties.
- To conduct annual investigations and reports on effectiveness and compliance of rules of commission and Code of Iowa.
- To conduct informal hearings on matters established in the Code of Iowa.
- To hear and determine appeals or complaints regarding the appointment or rejection of individuals by the Sheriff.
- To arrange, compile and administer tests to determine qualifications of individuals seeking employment and establish a list for various classes of positions in seniority order.
- To certify to the Sheriff when a vacancy is to be filled and list the individuals passing the examination.
- To classify deputy sheriffs and categorize by rank and grade based upon duties and responsibilities.