Small Claims

In Scott County, you may be contact the Clerk of District Court at (563) 326-8785 to request information.

What is a small claims case?

Small claims court was created to provide citizens with a low-cost, simple process for resolving civil disputes involving small amounts of money.  The applicable Iowa laws may be found in Iowa Code chapter 631.

A small claims case is a civil action for a money judgment in which the amount in controversy is $5000 or less.  An action for forcible entry and detainer arising out of a landlord tenant dispute can be brought in small claims court. In small claims court, cases are tried before a judge, not a jury, and without strict regard to technicalities of rules of procedure.  There are easy to complete forms for small claims available on the following website.