Traffic & Criminal

The Associate Court Clerk records and processes all Scott County Criminal and Traffic charges, collects fines and costs, attends the morning session of Magistrate Court and readies files for the Associate and District Court Judges.

Mailing address:

  • Clerk of District Court
    400 W. 4th St.
    Davenport, Iowa 52801


  • Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (no weekends)
  • Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 am to 2:30 pm


  • (563) 326-8786

Frequently Asked Questions

What methods of payment are accepted?

The Clerk will accept checks, money orders, or cash with the following exceptions:

  1. Suspension tickets may not be paid by check.
  2. Restitution payment (money owed to a victim) may not be paid by check.
  3. No cash payments for tickets paid by mail.
  4. Payments may be placed in Yellow Drop Box on west side of the Scott County Courthouse.

Please make your check or money order payable to the Clerk of Court and write
your ticket number on the memo line.

When is my ticket to be paid?

The ticket must be paid on or before the court date indicated on your ticket. If not paid on or before the court date given on your citation, the amount will increase to the unsecured bond amount listed on the citation. If you have questions, please contact the Clerk of District Court at (563) 326-8786.

How do I enter a plea of not guilty to something I've been charged with?

Appear in court on or before your court date at 8:30 a.m. Monday-Friday (excluding holidays) and enter your plea of Not Guilty.

I was just told my license is suspended. Who do I talk to about that?

Contact the Department Of Transportation at Iowa D.O.T (Drivers license Office)
2162 W Kimberly Rd
Davenport Iowa 52806
Phone: (563) 386-1050

What happens when you get a ticket for failure to provide proof of insurance?

If the Defendant was insured at the time of issuance and just didn't have the Proof of Insurance card, he/she can show it to the Judge on their court date and the court may dismiss the Charge. If an accident was involved and defendant was unable to provide the Proof of Insurance card, he/she will have to appear in Court. The same is true of a motorist uninsured when the ticket was issued. The charge in both those incidents may be dismissed with costs at that time. If insurance is obtained after the ticket is issued, the defendant must appear in court.

If a ticket is marked "court appearance required", you must appear in court on the date and time written on the ticket by the officer.

When is my next court appearance?

You may obtain information regarding your case on-line at and follow the link to Iowa courts online, or go directly to You may also contact the Clerk's office at (563) 326-8787.

How do I find out how much I owe?

To determine the amount due on your case, call the Clerk's Office at (563) 326-8787. If at all possible, please providing the Clerk with the Case number(s) you are inquiring about, and have a pen or pencil ready to write the information down. Doing so will lessen the amount of time you have to spend on the phone and it will make our job easier as well. However, if you do not have your case number(s), we can still help you. Knowing your charges and the approximate date(s) will help us identify the correct case; we can find the information by doing a name search, but it can be a very time consuming method.

How far back do your records go?

Our computer records go back to the later part of 1993. Although we do not perform record searches, we have Public Access Terminals that may be used by the general public and an index of the pre-computer cases to facilitate a record search.

Is a ticket considered a moving violation?

Moving violations are determined and defined by the Iowa Department Of Transportation regulations and the Code Of Iowa. Generally speaking, if a citation is issued for a violation that occurs while the vehicle is in motion, (Speeding or Running a red light, for example) it is considered a "moving violation".

Do I have to come back to court for my unsupervised probation hearing if I have met all conditions of my probation?

The Clerks cannot advise you as to whether or not you have to attend a Court Hearing. You should call your attorney to determine your status. If you cannot contact your attorney, we strongly suggest that you attend the scheduled hearing.

Where is the Bar?

201 W. 2nd St.
Davenport, Iowa 52801
Phone: (563) 324-1000

Who do I complain to about an attorneys work? How do I file a complaint against my lawyer?

You can call the Iowa Board of Professional Ethics at (515) 243-0027. They will help you work out a solution with your lawyer. Attorney discipline information on-line at

Howcome I was never notified of my court costs?

The Clerk's Office does not send out billing statements. It is you or your attorneys responsibility to determine the amount of fines or costs due for your case(s).

What is the Department of Revenue's phone number?

(515) 281-3204