Marriage FAQ

Below is a list of frequently asked questions and answers. Please be sure to read the State of Iowa Marriage Application Instructions completely.

Where do I get copies of my marriage certificate?

Check out the Vital Records pages for information on getting a cerfitied copy of a marriage certificate.

When does the marriage license become valid?

The marriage license is issued when the application is recieved. However, there is a 4 day waiting period before the license is valid. The date the marriage license is valid appears on the license.

Do we need to have a witness for the Marriage Application?

Yes. You must have one witness that is over the age of 18 that knows both parties. Your witness can be a relative, however your witness can not be your officiant. 

When will my application be processed?

For same day processing, your completed application must be recieved by 4:00pm.

I have been married before, do I need to show/bring divorce papers?

No. Divorce papers are not required. All questions about divorce should be directed to the Scott County Clerk of Court's Office.

Do we need social security cards?

No. Only a valid government issued photo ID's or passports.

Does Iowa require a blood test?

Iowa no longer requires blood tests for marriage.

Can the 4-day waiting period be bypassed?

Yes. A 4-DAY WAIVER FORM can be obtained from our office. The waiver must be approved/signed by a judge at the courthouse at 8:30 am and 1:30 pm. There is an additional $5 cost to file the waiver.

Can people under the age of 18 get married?

Yes. A CONSENT TO MARRY A MINOR form can be obtained through our office. Parents of both parties must sign the form, in addition to a judge at the courthouse. There is no additional cost for filing this form.

Can a marriage license be applied for in Scott County if the marriage ceremony is to take place in a different county of Iowa?

Yes, the license is valid in any county in the State of Iowa.

Who is legally able to perform a marriage ceremony in the state of Iowa?

Persons ordained or designated as a leader of the person’s religious faith or a judge. See next question for how to obtain a list of judges.

Are marriage ceremonies performed at the courthouse?

Marriage ceremonies are no longer performed at the Scott County Courthouse.

You can access a list of Magistrate Judges on the County Recorders website. You are responsible for making arrangements for the actual ceremony.

One or both of us are not living in Iowa. How can we start the application process?

You can call the office to request for an application to be sent to you (563)326-8650. The 4 day waiting period begins once the application is complete and received in our office with the appropriate fee. Please include a daytime phone number with the return of your application and fee.

What is the fee for the application?

The fee is $35.00. This includes a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate.