Military Service Records

Discharge papers (DD214's) may be recorded for permanent records from which certified copies may be issued. In order to obtain a certified copy, the original must have been presented for recording. The DD214 must be recorded before military exemption is applied toward property tax reduction.

How to request military service records from Scott County, Iowa

There is no charge to record, or obtain a certified copy of a military record.

The military separation or discharge record is not accessible through the Internet per the Code of Iowa (331.606A). Therefore, a veteran or a family member must furnish a photo ID in order to obtain their military record.

How to request military service records not recorded in Scott County, Iowa?

If the DD214 Military Discharge has been misplaced or destroyed, a certified copy may be obtained from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri or other Custodian of Record listed on the Request Pertaining to Military Records form.

You may obtain the request form from the Recorder's Office or download a copy from the National Archives and Records Administration at:

Additional resources


If you wish to request this record from the our office, please print, complete and return the application below.