What does one need when applying for a passport?
Requirements for Passport Application at the Scott County Recorder's Office.
Please submit the following five items when applying for your passport:
- Evidence of Citizenship: One of the following 3 documents must be submitted with your Application and will be returned with your new passport.
- Birth Certificate: A certified copy of Birth Certificate issued by the county or state. It must show the birth record was filed within one year after the date of birth and must have the registrar's signature and the raised, impressed, embossed or multi-colored seal of the Registrar's office. A notarized copy or a hospital birth certificate is not acceptable.
- Naturalization Certificate: A person who claims US citizenship by naturalization must submit the original Certificate of Naturalization with the application.
- Expired Passport: This is acceptable. However, if the child was under 16 when the passport was issued, you must submit a certified copy of the birth certificate along with the expired passport.
- Two (2) Identical Passport Photos: (2"x2") Front view of applicant, taken within the last six months. The photo's must be in color (black and white no longer allowed). Vending machine prints are not accepted.
Passport photo services are now available at our office
- Personal Identification: A valid driver's license (not driver's permit). Expired ID is not accepted. Anyone under 18 must have a parent along with the parent's ID for parental consent and signature. Both parents signatures are required for children under 16.
- Payment: Each passport should be paid by two (2) checks or money orders as indicated below (debit or credit cards are not accepted):
- $35 payable to "Scott County Recorder" and
- $110 payable to "U.S. Department of State" - Valid 10 Years
(if under 16 years of age - $80 - Valid 5 years)
- Expedited processing of a passport application is available for an additional fee.
- Completed Application: DS-11 Application for U.S. Passport form is available on site or may be downloaded from https://travel.state.gov/passport.
- Please do not sign until requested to do so.
- Signatures must be witnessed by the Clerk processing the form.
- Minors: Each minor child applying for a passport shall appear in person.