Zoning Board of Adjustment meets to hear and decide variances, special use permits, and interpretations.
Meetings are normally held in the 1st Floor Board Room, Administrative Center, 600 W. 4th St., Davenport, Iowa. Click for directions.
Generally, if there have been no applications submitted by the deadline, the Board of Adjustment will not meet that month. Please call the Planning and Development office, (563) 326-8643, by noon of the public hearing date to verify the public hearing, its time and its location.
Public Hearing Procedure:
- Chairman reads notice of public hearing.
- Director reviews case.
- Applicant/Representative speaks on behalf of request.
- Public may ask questions or make comments.
- Direct or makes staff recommendation.
- Applicant may respond to comments and/or recommendation.
- Board members may ask questions.
- Chairman closes the public portion of the hearing. (No more comments from public or applicant.)
- Discussion period to determine justification for decision.
- Board members move to accept, reject, or modify request.
- Final vote. Case closed. Three members of the Board constitute a quorum. The concurring vote of three members of the Board shall be necessary to reverse any decision or determination of the zoning administrator or to decide in favor of an application for a variance or conditions for a special use permit. The Board of Adjustment is “quasi-judicial” and not a recommending body. Therefore, any appeals to their decisions should be filed with District Court within 30 days of the meeting.
Please turn off or silence all cell phones and other electronic devices.
NOTE: Meetings from January through October will be held on the fourth Wednesday of the month. November and December meetings will be held on the third Wednesday of the month.